Food Preparation & NutritionBack
Why should I choose Food Preparation & Nutrition?
The course equips learners with the knowledge, understanding and skills required to cook and apply the principles of food science, nutrition and healthy eating.
The specification provides a solid foundation for the study of WJEC Level 3 Food Preparation and Nutrition and other food related courses at either AS or A level.
You will need to be able to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of cooking skills/techniques, be creative and organised and enjoy working independently.
How will I be examined?
- Component 1 - Principles of Food Preparation and Nutrition: 1 hr 45mins exam - 50% of qualification.
- Component 2 - Non examination assessment internally assessed, externally moderated.
- Assessment 1 - Food Investigation Assessment: 8 hrs - 15% of qualification.
- Assessment 2 - The Food Preparation Assessment: 12 hrs - 35% of qualification.
What will I study?
You will study principles of food preparation and nutrition, healthy eating and making wise food choices. This will encompass food science and include experiments. You will develop knowledge, understanding and application of cooking skills/techniques to include planning, preparing, cooking, presentation and evaluation of dishes.
You will study the following topics:
- Core knowledge
- Principles of nutrition
- Diet and good health
- The science of cooking food
- Food spoilage
- Food provenance and food waste
- Cultures and cuisines
- Technological developments
- Factors affecting food choice
- Fruit and vegetables
- Milk, cheese and yoghurt
- Meat, poultry, fish and eggs
- Beans, nuts, and seeds, soya tofu and mycoprotein
- Butter, oil, margarine, sugar and syrup.
Recommended text books, additional reading and online resources
- Eduqas GCSE Food Preparation and Nutrition (Alison -Clough Halstead
- Eduqas GCSE Food Preparation and Nutrition (Helen Buckland & Jacqui Keepin)
- GCSE Food Preparation and Nutrition (WJEC Eduqas grade 9-1) Exam practice Workbook.
- GCSE Food Preparation and Nutrition (WJEC Eduqas grade 9-1) The revision guide
Joyce Maocha, Head of Food Technology