Why should I choose Business Studies?
You will gain a great understanding of how organisations operate. This will be useful for any company you join or interact with and your knowledge of the ins and outs of the running of a business will make you a useful, adaptable and confident employee.
Good decision-making is an invaluable quality. Business Studies will allow you to develop the ability to quickly and efficiently make sensible, logical and informed decisions. This will save you time and will hopefully stay with you throughout your entire life.
You will also develop your numeracy skills in Business Studies as you study investment, funding and how to use and interpret financial data. These mathematical abilities are widely useful and will demonstrate to your future employers that you have a logical, analytical mind.
Business Studies also forces you to be organised and to plan ahead. Learning how to generate marketable ideas, access resources and develop business plans all require a great deal of organisation. This, of course, is a crucial skill that will definitely serve you well no matter what career you decide to pursue.
If you are confident in your English and Maths subjects you will definitely like and enjoy Business Studies. Business Studies can lead to a career in IT, engineering, banking, finance and accountancy.
How will I be examined?
- Component 1: Investigating small business. Written examination, 1hr 30min, 50% of the qualification The paper will consist of calculations, multiple-choice, short-answer and extended-writing questions
- Component 2: Building a business. Written examination, 1hr 30min, 50% of the qualification The paper will consist of calculations, multiple-choice, short-answer and extended-writing questions
What will I study?
- Enterprise and entrepreneurship
- Spotting a business opportunity
- Putting a business idea into practice
- Making the business effective
- Understanding external influences on business
- Growing the business
- Making marketing decisions
- Making operational decisions
- Making financial decisions
- Making human resource decisions
Recommended text books, additional reading and online resources
- Revise Edexcel GCSE (9-1) Business Revision Guide
- Edexcel GCSE (9 1) Business, Second Edition Student Book
- Edexcel GCSE (9-1) Business Student Book
Muhammed Ahmed, Head of Business Studies