Why should I choose Sport BTEC?
BTEC Level 1/Level 2 First Award in Sport has earnt it’s reputation as a well-established, enduringly effective qualification. It has a proven track record of improving motivation and achievement among young learners. Additionally, BTECs provide progression routes to the next stage of education or into employment. It also includes the science of training and application of training principles and psychology in sports and sports performance.
How will I be examined?
- Component 1 - Preparing participants to take part in sport and physical activity: (30%).
- Component 2 - Taking part and improving other participants’ sporting performance: (30%).
- Component 3 - Developing fitness to improve other participants’ performance in sport and physical activity: (40%).
What will I study?
- Component 1 - Preparing participants to take part in sport and physical activity, will:
- explore types and provision of sport and physical activity for different types of participant
- examine equipment and technology required for participants to use when taking part in sport and physical activities.
- prepare participants to take part in sport and physical activities.
- Component 2 - Taking part and improving other participants’ sporting performance, will:
- explain how different components of fitness are used in physical activities
- allow participation in sport and
- help understand the roles of officials
- demonstrate ways to improve sporting techniques.
- Component 3 - Developing fitness to improve other participants performance in sport and physical activity, will:
- explore the importance of fitness for sports performance.
- investigate fitness testing to determine fitness levels.
- investigate different fitness training methods.
- investigate fitness programming. to improve fitness and sports performance.
Recommended text books, additional reading and online resources
- Pearson BTEC Tech Award Level 1/Level 2 in Sport, Activity and Fitness - Your Key Stage 4 BTEC for schools
- BTEC Tech Award in Sport Activity and Fitness: Student Book
- Physical Fitness and Athletic Performance: A Guide for Students, Athletes and Coaches (Longman, 1996) ISBN 9780582091108 - Watson A W S
Jerald Aboagye, Head of Physical Education