At The Cumberland School, we strongly believe in the importance of careers. We also recognise that excellent careers education will lead to successful career pathways for our pupils and positively change their lives.
This is why we have a dedicated Careers and Aspirations Team at TCS. Mr Maruf Deen is our Careers and Aspirations Manager and Mr Ricardo Green is the Careers and Aspirations Lead. Their primary role is to provide careers, education, information, advice and guidance to help students make aspirational and realistic choices about their educational journey and future.
Their main responsibilities are to ensure that students are provided with the correct information and advice when making decisions about their post 16 education and training. The team also does the following:
- Carry out one-to-one and group career counselling sessions. Mr Deen is also a fully qualified careers adviser and is registered with the Careers Development Institute. The team is supported by the Assistant Headteacher and an Enterprise Coordinator.
- Manage and coordinate our flagship Prestigious Colleges Programme. Recent successes include helping seven pupils secure scholarships to Eton, Kings and many other notable post 16 destinations.
- Organise work experience, mentoring and internships for pupils and provide comprehensive information to parents/ carers. Some of our main partners include 15Billion EBP, Clifford Chance, Macfarlanes, UEL, Eton, UCS and Mount Kelly.
- Provide regular opportunities for pupils to engage with CEIAG events, career visits, workshops and activities with a planned careers calendar in place every year. They strive to ensure that our pupils have access to a plethora of industries ranging from the business world, STEM, law, health, art, finance and many more.
- Arrange option evenings in partnership with other educational establishments. They also plan and organise career fairs including an annual careers fair at the school.
- Organise and participate in IAG events at The Cumberland School and other events where appropriate. They also invite in career professionals such as doctors, lawyers, people from industry as well as alumni who come in and deliver career talks.
- Support the options process and events in relation to the future goals and aspirations of all pupils. All pupils have access to an online career platform called Start Profile which allows them to commence their career journey and set goals
- Provide parents/ carers with information about the services that are available to help young people make effective learning and career decisions. We regularly have careers coffee mornings and participate in parents evenings.
- Maintain strong links and develop relationships with external businesses, organisations and other educational establishments. We work with over 30+ organisations/ businesses and are always looking to build our network.
- Parents/ carers, please contact the Careers team directly if you would like any career-related information, work experience guidance or general careers support for your child. All students in year 11 will receive a one-to-one careers interview which can be conducted with parents present when requested.
- The Cumberland School is pleased to announce that we have embarked on the Quality in Careers Award. This recognises that the careers provisions at our school is at a high level and that we are working towards excellent Careers, Education, Information, Advice and Guidance for our pupils.
Mr Deen and Mr Green
TCS Careers and Aspirations Team
Telephone: 020 7474 0231 Ext 7832
School Location: Careers Office F07
If training providers would like to talk to our pupils about technical education and apprenticeships, please contact the Careers team to be included in one of our careers fairs or talks.